The Waverley Route
Until its closure in 1969, the Waverley Route served the border towns and villages between Carlisle and Edinburgh. The industrial towns of Hawick and Galashiels contrasted sharply with the lonely beauty of Falahill, Shankend and Whitrope Summit, names that evoke memories of hard working steam locomotives as they pounded up steep gradients. From D49s in 1959, A1s, A3s, A4s, B1s and V2s in the early 1960s, to Claytons and Peaks after the end of steam, we trace the changes in motive power, including scenes on the last day of passenger workings. Leisurely trips on the branch lines to Kelso, Langholm and Selkirk, with studies of Galashiels, Hawick, St. Boswells, Shankend and Stow complement a superb final rail travelogue from Carlisle to Edinburgh featuring almost every station on the route.
Write a review